Register
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heating & Steeping Juices, your thoughts?
18-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Heating & Steeping Juices, your thoughts?
I keep seeing posts regarding steeping juices, which lately have been added to with the suggestion of heating to get a good mix..

I personally don't steep, and I only heat when using Ethyl Maltol or Menthol Crystals..

But I wondered what everyone else does?

Let me know your thoughts...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Re: Heating & Steeping Juices, your thoughts?
I have tried everything from mixing on a stirplate to heating to steeping with the lid off for several days and I have found that 1. Heating mutes the flavours. 2. Although the stirplate gives a consistant mix it shortens the life of the e-liquid ( the flavour seems to fall off faster). 3. Leaving the lid off for several days has the same effect as a stirplate - just a little slower. 4. If it tastes bad now steeping will not help it. 5. Some flavouring just need longer than others to blend - especially the brown tobacco type flavours. 6. Mix so that it tastes good right out of the bottle and you do not need to steep.
Just my 2 cents
18-03-2012, 08:15 AM
I agree with you.

Using heat has to be done when adding crystals such as Ethyl Maltol. And a quick easy way is a few seconds in the microwave, or placing the bottle containing EM and your VG or PG mix into a larger container with hot water in, this in fact is a gentler way to do it, but just as effective in dissolving.

Steeping etc., does little to improve a juice, however, 14 days or so standing sealed, can improve some flavours a great deal.

I dont tend to use tobacco flavours, but I did experiment with tobacco absolute, and over a period of a month, I found that the TA didn't not diminish much, or increase, but, the other flavours I had added had a chance to 'ripen' a little.

In general when I make a juice, I start using it immediately, as these days I make around 120ml at a time.

And to be honest, the colour may deepen, but the differences in the flavour from the first ml to the last isn't all that much.
29-10-2012, 02:15 AM
I don't DIY.

I just sit my bottles on the shelf in my lounge and they steep themselves. I've heard some crazy idea of using a microwave to steep juices which is frightening.

Juice takes about 2-4 weeks to get to me and I am flabbergasted that some juice still arrives in an unvapeable condition. Some juices need weeks or even months of steeping after arrival before being ready for use!

Then there are vendors that send juice you can vape from the moment you open the box.

Given this kind of variation, how can DIYers vape juice they make straight away? I just don't get it.
29-10-2012, 09:42 AM
my own take is that if it takes months to become usable, then you don't actually like the "real" flavour, but prefer the degraded, oxidised and salted version.

FWIW, I find completely unflavoured VG based 36mg to "taste" as good as anything - but then I'm of the school of thought that A: doesn't constantly change flavours and B: doesn't mind that after a week, I can't really discern much of a flavour anyway.
23-02-2013, 06:04 PM
RE: Heating & Steeping Juices, your thoughts?
I use an ultrasonic cleaner i picked up recently to fast steep juices.

It works very well, i can equal a weeks steeping with 10 X 8 minute cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner bath in luke warm water.

When mixing Vanilla Custard steeping is vital to the end taste
23-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Great tip gillas, i am just about to try mixing my own Vanilla Custard will have to give this a go.

O < This is my stress free bubble, respect the bubble, stay out of the bubble, no touchy the bubble, go find your own bubble Smile
24-02-2013, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2013 10:19 PM by gillas.)
(23-02-2013 06:41 PM)Sav Wrote:  Great tip gillas, i am just about to try mixing my own Vanilla Custard will have to give this a go.

SAV,the PVC (Perpetua's Vanilla Custard) is supposed to be very close to Grants VC You will find it in the Recipe's in the mixology section of AAEC forum.

I have mixed just Capella Vanilla Custard with base and VG and it very nice on it's own (20% flavouring)

Also tried with French vanilla (5%) and Dulce de Leche (0.2%) and a couple of drops of Ethyl maltol sweetener added to the mix (all gorgeous)
25-02-2013, 01:01 AM
I have just ordered some Capella Vanilla Custard and some DV Custard so am looking forward to a bit of mixing to see what i can come up with.

O < This is my stress free bubble, respect the bubble, stay out of the bubble, no touchy the bubble, go find your own bubble Smile
25-02-2013, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 07:34 PM by gillas.)
(25-02-2013 01:01 AM)Sav Wrote:  I have just ordered some Capella Vanilla Custard and some DV Custard so am looking forward to a bit of mixing to see what i can come up with.

Got some new flavours today from Cup Cake World

Apple Intense Flavour
Banana Intense Flavour
Caramel Toffee Intense Flavour
Chocolate Intense Flavour
Cream Intense Flavour
Custard Intense Flavour
Strawberry Intense
Vanilla Intense Flavour

Mixing session this weekend

EDITED 12/04/2013
My findings so far with CCW Flavours:

After buying & trying my findings so far with the CCW flavours are:

Apple Intense Flavour - very strong Crisp juicy Golden delicious flavour when used at 20%

Banana Intense Flavour - a good authentic Banana flavour, Would only use at 10 to 12% if combining with other flavours but would not use any CCW flavour at less than 20% (other than Cream) if mixing on it's own.

Caramel Toffee Intense Flavour - Nice flavour but weak had to mix at 25% to get a strong enough taste - needs to steep at least a week (would leave 2 or 3)

Chocolate Intense Flavour - can definitely taste a chocolate taste in the background, but not a true chocolate taste more a cocoa type taste and not strong - maybe just me - mixed it with Vanilla custard (10%) at 15% and a nice change but would guess other brand Chocolate flavours may be better.

Cream Intense Flavour - very intense only use sparingly ( i mix 1.5% in Vanilla Custard with 1% DDL and 1% EM.

Custard Intense Flavour - weak flavour, nice taste but from my current trials you could not put enough of this in any mix - will never overpower anything!. Has anyone tried foodieflalvours.com flavouring especially the custard one?)

Strawberry Intense - nice authentic Strawberry flavour i would suggest 10 to 15% with other flavour or 20% on own.

Vanilla Intense Flavour - not a classic, just a standard vanilla, i actually prefer the Dr Oetker from Tesco's (Yet to try Nielson Massey Vanilla Extract i have bought)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)