Register
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Preparing To Switch
12-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Preparing To Switch
Yesterday on UKV a chap posted on the N.E.E.S. section, and to be fair, he posted on that regional section because he lived in the North of England.

But I felt it was a shame as he wouldn't get the response he deserved, that is in volume, not necessarily content...

Anyway, I felt it was of interest to us all, so I am going to copy a bit of his post here:-

Just starting vaping hunting kit etc. just found this section & thought I'd say hello.
Can u tell me any local outlets for kit or liquid ?
The type of person I am ,I'd rather go & have alook & a feel ,than buy off the web cheers for now. Frank

This is so common, and yet, everyone just ploughs in usually and says, buy this, buy that, buy the other.. and no one ever seems to understand that preparation is needed.

Here is a snippet from the reply I gave:-

the choice is vast, and because it is vast, it is confusing to someone starting on their vapourtrail..

I was lucky, when I started there were only a handful of choices, so half an hour debate with my daughter, Sav, who also started vaping the same time as me, was all it took to decide what to start with.

Today its not that easy...

Firstly lets get it straight, an ecig is not a cigarette, pipe or cigar, and will replace non of these things..

Initially that is what you are going to be looking for as everyone who switches does..

For some this can never be accepted, and those few fall by the wayside and go back to cigarettes.

Its an alternative device for delivering nicotine..

And along with it, can come some of the best experiences of your life, providing you accept its not a cigarette and dont try and emulate that experience.

Yes it can be held in a similar way, yes it can be inhaled, and yes it can produce something that vaguely resembles smoke..

But as you are not burning anything, it cannot replicate the taste, nor the experience.

So that said...

Your next question is, how and what do you smoke?

A pipe smoker, may indeed need the feel of a pipe in the hand, a cigar smoker, tends not to inhale a great deal, and so on...

All these things are relevant to where you start..

These disposables are fine to try out at low cost, as they give you a general impression of how you will adapt to the changes in habits..

So..

I want your opinions on this...

What mistakes did you make? how has your vapour trail progressed?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Re: Preparing To Switch
That's a great reply to his post Cat, and this is the thing that confused the hell out of me when I first started, hence all the question I still ask, and from his post, it still confuses people who want to try them but don't have a clue what to buy for the best.

My biggest mistake was listening to a pharmacist who insisted that the' look-a-like cigarette' he had just got in to stock, was the perfect way to stop smoking (yes, at that time I wanted to stop), I must add that this happened about five years ago.

Anyway, I purchased this 'miracle of modern science' for the princely sum of £1.99 (I should have known then what it was going to be like), when I got it home, I convinced my two daughters who are both anti smoking, that I'd finally found a way to give up the evil weed, I tore open the pack and out dropped a white and orange hard plastic tube, on closer inspection I found the white part 'cigarette' to be hollow, and the orange 'tip' end was stuffed with some kind of wadding that 'supposedly' had the flavour of 'real' tobacco.

Not to be put off, I sat at my PC with this thing between my fingers and took my first draw, now I have no experience of the things I'm about to describe, its just how I imagine them to be ... the taste of that first draw was nothing short of sucking on a public toilet that hasn't been cleaned for months, coupled with my eldest daughters dirty socks with a hint of mouldy ashtray thrown in for good measure.

I did however, persevere with it for a whole 20 minutes, but by that time my mouth was going slightly numb and my breath (according to my wife) was a cross between gone off Gorgonzola, fermented horse poo and a hint of my eldest daughters dirty socks ... suffice to say, it ended up in the bin and I told that pharmacist exactly what I thought of his 'new product'.

I then found the wonders of the Electronic Cigarette, but I was overwhelmed by the vast amount of kits on offer, everything from look-a-likes, pen shapes to eGo and Riva kits. I decided I needed help and started trawling the forums, and as you've pointed out, I was seeing posts of 'get this' or 'no, get this instead' which completely confused me as it does others.

Like the guy who posted, I wanted to find somewhere local to me that sold these things, I wanted to have a good look through before making my decision, there is a shop local to me called ECS limited and they also have a website. I went to the shop to look at what was on offer, everything was look-a-like based with glowing ends, even the pipes, but the biggest disappointing thing I found, was that every flavour I was asked to try brought back memories of that day five years ago, it all tasted the same.

You know as well as I do that being a new potential user, you want as much information as possible as its a big step to take, plus it isn't a cheap one either, it's also very daunting asking your first questions in a forum for fear of being labelled an idiot for not knowing.

Things like You Tube reviews, blogs, user reviews etc can only give you so much information, what we need is a shop on every street corner selling nothing but e-cigs, then we can go and try before we buy, but that'll never happen as long as you have a hole in your bottom, so we reply on the interweb as there is nothing worthwhile reported in the mass media.

VTTV has taken the process of informing new users a step forward, you are e-cig users who have been vaping for a few years and you all share your knowledge freely. The appeal to viewers new and old, is that your opinions are unbiased, you leave it up to whoever wants to try something new ... out!

It was watching the shows that made me decide to try out a VV mod, also carto's and clearo's ... yes I could have tried them out by just reading forums, but there's something about reading text and watching a vid or show, that makes me decide in different ways.

Apologies for the wall of text, but it was worth the read wasn't it :lol:.

Regards,
Bob
[+] 1 user Likes ol'git's post
12-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Re: Preparing To Switch
It was indeed worth the read..

And thank you for the praise to VTTV, it is what we try and do.

That starting out place, is a horrible place to be, and way too confusing for most..

And Im going to be honest here, its now way too confusing for me ! .. I just don't want to have to understand ohms law to be able to enjoy a vape..

And I believe if we all chip in with our knowledge, and your knowledge is more relevant than mine, as yours is current ongoing knowledge, as is that of all recent switchers, we can put together a guide, with as few words as possible in how to choose what may be right for you..

And I also believe a forum is the right place to do this, as each can add their points.

So we need to categorise the smoker, so there is a list to start with.

Light Smoker
Heavy Smoker
Pipe Smoker
Cigar Smoker

and so on....
19-07-2013, 01:34 PM
RE: Preparing To Switch
(12-02-2012 10:55 AM)Cat Wrote:  Yesterday on UKV a chap posted on the N.E.E.S. section, and to be fair, he posted on that regional section because he lived in the North of England.

But I felt it was a shame as he wouldn't get the response he deserved, that is in volume, not necessarily content...

Anyway, I felt it was of interest to us all, so I am going to copy a bit of his post here:-

Just starting vaping hunting kit etc. just found this section & thought I'd say hello.
Can u tell me any local outlets for kit or liquid ?
The type of person I am ,I'd rather go & have alook & a feel ,than buy off the web cheers for now. Frank

This is so common, and yet, everyone just ploughs in usually and says, buy this, buy that, buy the other.. and no one ever seems to understand that preparation is needed.

Here is a snippet from the reply I gave:-

the choice is vast, and because it is vast, it is confusing to someone starting on their vapourtrail..

I was lucky, when I started there were only a handful of choices, so half an hour debate with my daughter, Sav, who also started vaping the same time as me, was all it took to decide what to start with.

Today its not that easy...

Firstly lets get it straight, an ecig is not a cigarette, pipe or cigar, and will replace non of these things..

Initially that is what you are going to be looking for as everyone who switches does..

For some this can never be accepted, and those few fall by the wayside and go back to cigarettes.

Its an alternative device for delivering nicotine..

And along with it, can come some of the best experiences of your life, providing you accept its not a cigarette and dont try and emulate that experience.

Yes it can be held in a similar way, yes it can be inhaled, and yes it can produce something that vaguely resembles smoke..

But as you are not burning anything, it cannot replicate the taste, nor the experience.

So that said...

Your next question is, how and what do you smoke?

A pipe smoker, may indeed need the feel of a pipe in the hand, a cigar smoker, tends not to inhale a great deal, and so on...

All these things are relevant to where you start..

These disposables are fine to try out at low cost, as they give you a general impression of how you will adapt to the changes in habits..

So..

I want your opinions on this...

What mistakes did you make? how has your vapour trail progressed?

As a newbie to mixing my own can anyone point me to an "idiots guide" which avoids a basic level of understanding? thanks in advance

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)