Register
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31st August London Parliament Demo.
19-07-2013, 10:37 PM
31st August London Parliament Demo.
Can someone please keep me up to date of the arrangements when made for the above demo.

I at present have taken it upon myself to keep my fellow members updated on the demo.

I am a member of AAEC and we have had a very good response to this forthcoming demo.

So please keep me updated when ever possible.

Organisers Send me a PM and I in return will give you a direct means of contacting me.

Thanks in advance.

jeffc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2013, 12:40 PM
RE: 31st August London Parliament Demo.
We were talking about national demos, and DD said that some countries end their Parliamentary holidays earlier than us and plan a demo on 31st August.
But the only reason for us to have a demo on that day is because three (I think) countries have working parliaments then, it's the earliest they can protest.
Personally I see no point in a demonstration on August 31st because nobody would be in Parliament, we'd not be heard or seen by MPs, we'd not be able to get green cards to see our MPS, because nobody would be there.

One week later Parliament will be in session and it is still a couplke of days before the start of the Plenary discussion.

Fight the EU ecig/vaping ban!
21-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Has this demo been discussed on the forum? Is there a thread somewhere that i've missed?

Ecigs: A Choice not a Therapy. A lifestyle not a Treatment. Educate and Liberate.
21-07-2013, 06:03 PM
It was mentioned on VTTV last week, along with the fact that countries whose parliaments return earlier are planning demos on the 31st. I don't think a date has been set for us, but there is a thread in UKV where people seem to assume the 31st because the Germans plus a couple of other countries are planning demos then.
It would be good for all countries to do the same day, but why demonstrate when parliament is shut and I think the EDF are planning a demo.
I could imagine us making the news because of fights with the EDF. Also, why demonstrate outside Westminster when all MPs are still on holiday? Ours have more time off than some countries.

22-07-2013, 11:20 AM
I see, that's why i've not heard about this. I've missed the last week of VTTV. I see your point about the date, but i'm sure Dave knows all about that and has matters in hand. Mr Dorn will know what he's doing, i trust him completely. It may not be that politicians actually being in parliament is the most important thing here but that all the vapers around europe are united on the same day perhaps. I'm sure at the end of the day Dave and the team will be aware of all the facts and react accordingly. After all, if all the vapers in europe demonstrate on the same day, outside of their respective parliament buildings, i'm sure it would make national news, and the people we want to reach would get the message anyway. Wink

Ecigs: A Choice not a Therapy. A lifestyle not a Treatment. Educate and Liberate.
22-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Did you see VTTV last night?
Dave is taking no part in this, he is on holiday. It is being discussed in the forums and it seems that some people want a demo on August 31st, some say there's no point in the UK having one at parliament then because parliament is in recess.
When Dave Dorn provided the information he said that several European countries are holding a demo at their national parliament on the 31st. But those countries parliaments will no longer be in recess then.
The question is, to act at the same time as, say, Germany, although German MPs will be at their parliament then and none will be at ours, or wait maybe a week so that there is actually somebody at Westminster. With Parliament in recess the usual parliamentary reporters won't be there either.

I've been following the UKV forum on this and I'm one of the 'no point of a demo when nobody's there' camp. Our MPs can still have influence but I see no point in going to Westminster when the MPs are scattered across the world and none are at Westminster. Civil Servants aren't likely to be impressed or do anything.
Personally I'd like to try and see my MP while there as mine doesn't usually have constituency meetings, but he's not in the UK at the end of August.

22-07-2013, 12:52 PM
I think it really depends on what your trying to do with the protest, if your aim is to try and get noticed by MP's then it needs to be when they are around. But if what your trying to do is get press exposure then a protest on the same day all around Europe would be the way to go.

Vape Hard or GO HOME!!!!
[Image: VapourtrailstvHD.1.gif] Click to subscribe - IT'S FREE!
22-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Then wouldn't you agree, that if a demo occurred on the same day throughout europe and the press coverage was big enough, then the mp's who need to be aware of the protest would see it anyway? I'm happy to follow whatever course of action is considered to be the best. I just believe, personally, that if the majority of the european vapers are going to be demonstrating on the 31st august, and then the UK vapers demonstrate a week later or whatever date is decided, isn't that going to weaken the UK vaper's position and alienate us from the rest of europe? Shouldn't all vapers be sticking together regardless of nationality? We, as UK vapers, can still go to our own parliament when the mp's are there and have our own demo, but still demonstarate on august 31st along with the rest of europe to show them they have our support, and to show all EU mep's that the whole eurpean vaping community are united on this issue. Just a thought.....

22-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Yeah i tend to fall on the side of a Europe wide protest as the best chance to get the word out and i think your right if it gets in the press the politicians will see it anyway.

Vape Hard or GO HOME!!!!
[Image: VapourtrailstvHD.1.gif] Click to subscribe - IT'S FREE!
23-07-2013, 09:37 AM
I just watched the episode on VTTV in question and Dave Dorn seemed very much in favour of a protest on the 31st along with the rest of europe, in fact he seemed very enthusiastic about it. That makes me even more determined to stand up for some kind of action on that date, regardless of wether mp's are in parliament or not. As Dave said on the show, if the rest of europe is going to be demonstrating on that day, then it makes sense for us to do the same. The two dave's made the point aswell that it would make a big "noise" across europe, enough to generate some press interest and get people to take notice. I've written an article for my local newspaper so hopefully that will get a bit of interest going, and if more people do the same then the snowball effect gains more momentum and then nothing will be able to stop it. @BlackwaterVaper, i can sort of see your point, but you need to be looking at the bigger picture here. It's not just a UK issue after all is it? As Dave said, we all need to be singing from the same hymn sheet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3rd London & South East Meet MarkS 0 1,849 28-04-2013 07:31 PM
Last Post: MarkS

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)