Register
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MEP reply
04-03-2013, 05:45 PM
MEP reply
Reply from another MEP.
Of interest, check out where she says nicotine is a harmful substance, and harmful effects of nicotine.

Thank you for your email to Keith Taylor MEP, which he has asked me to reply to on his behalf. I apologise for the delay in doing so - our office receives a large volume of correspondence on a daily basis and it can sometimes take longer than we would like to respond.

Keith has asked me to thank you for sending your views on the proposed new European law on tobacco products. Keith and his Green colleagues in the European Parliament are currently discussing the proposals and reading expert advice in order to decide how to vote on this issue, so it is very helpful to have your views and please be assured that these will be carefully considered.

After receiving your e-mail, we have been in touch with the Green advisers in the European Parliament who have assured us that the Commission is not proposing to ban electronic cigarettes under the new Directive. Instead, the European Commission is proposing to extend the scope of nicotine-containing products covered by the Directive.

Under this legislation, e-cigarettes below a certain nicotine threshold would be freely allowed on the market, but must feature health warnings. E-cigarettes above this threshold would only be allowed if authorised as medicinal products (like nicotine replacement therapies, e.g. nicotine patches, which you can buy in pharmacies). This document summarises the main changes proposed: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEM...005_en.htm

At the moment, Keith’s view is that the suggestion to regulate e-cigarettes above a certain concentration as medicinal products is justified, in light of the harmful effects of nicotine. While e-cigarettes are clearly less hazardous for smokers and others compared to normal cigarettes, nicotine is a harmful substance, so e-cigarettes are not "healthy" as such.

However, as I said earlier, the Green Group is still discussing this and will be carefully considering all views before coming to a decision.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to Keith, and please do not hesitate to get in touch again if you have any further questions or concerns.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2013, 08:31 PM
RE: MEP reply
As I've said before, I am sure that "his view" stands for nowt.He is owned by us and should be putting OUR views across and not his own.
However I'm not sure how we can get that across to them in a polite way.

Don't Drip and Drive
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Link for the reply video from July 24th Show Sav 1 1,560 02-08-2013 02:36 PM
Last Post: Sav
  Chris Davies MEP Wiganvaper 0 2,138 13-04-2013 11:23 AM
Last Post: Wiganvaper
  Getting better. Latest MEP reply tribanthium 0 2,422 28-03-2013 06:16 PM
Last Post: tribanthium
  South-East MEP response- my best one yet! Rachy_B 5 2,472 19-03-2013 10:28 PM
Last Post: fuzzy
  This is a must read. MEP reply tribanthium 0 1,553 19-03-2013 05:56 PM
Last Post: tribanthium

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)