Register
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Poll: What age limit do you think there should be for the purchase of E-Liquid?
No age limit
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Age restrictions for E-Liquid
28-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Age restrictions for E-Liquid
After watching last night VT Talk i was wondering what age if any do you think the purchase of E-Liquid should be restricted to?
I am thinking about Purchase only here as it think it should be upto parents if they want to buy it for their children.

Vape Hard or GO HOME!!!!
[Image: VapourtrailstvHD.1.gif] Click to subscribe - IT'S FREE!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2013, 10:28 AM
RE: Age restrictions for E-Liquid
A good idea Mark, thanks..

I have voted for 15 years old, as that's the age, I started smoking, and my Mother found out. She then said, smoke here in front of me, if you are going to do it, and allowed me to smoke her cigarettes. Of course back then, we didnt know all the facts about smoking, but I remember that at 15 I felt I had the right, if not the money, to make my own choices, so why would todays teenagers be any different.
28-02-2013, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 04:37 PM by Gluggler.)
I think there could be a difference between the 'sale age' and the 'use age'

It would be quite feasable to have a system where you need to be 18 to buy the liquid, but the small print would say safe for use by people age 12 or over. This would allow parents to legally (and openly) buy the product for their smoking/vaping teenager.

Given that the MHRA have authorised NRT to be used by 12 year olds, they would have difficulty saying that an e-cig is unsuitable, but this doesn't mean that this has to be the age.

There is an argument (quite a convincing one actually) that by having a lower age restriction for e-cigs compared to tobacco (ie 16 instead of 18 for cigs) that young people, who would have started smoking, would buy e-cigs to start off with and skip out the tobacco smoking stage alltogether - never start smoking.

Say for example a 16 year old who is about to start smoking, is unable to buy a pack of cigs so they buy an e-cig instead (because that is all the corner shop will sell them) - 2 years later, when they are old enough to by fags, why would they change ? - no, they would just stick with their e-cig and never actually start smoking.

It is a difficult one, and opinions will vary.

As a shopkeeper, I know that the easiest and most practical option to implement would be to have the 'sale age' set at 18 - one uniform rule for age restricted products in this category - by the time people reach this age they will have obtained some form if ID to prove their age - and ID will be needed as most shop have a 'Challenge 21' or 'Challenge 25' policy these days.

So my view is that there are some good arguments for a lower age than cigarettes (say 16 for example) - but that on balance having the age set at 18 would be more practical to implement (and probably have wider acceptance).
28-02-2013, 04:39 PM
yeah that was part of why i went for the 16 option myself and your right a use from 12 but buy from what ever age is decided covers everybody well i think.

Vape Hard or GO HOME!!!!
[Image: VapourtrailstvHD.1.gif] Click to subscribe - IT'S FREE!
01-03-2013, 09:58 AM
If a teenager is going to start to smoke it will be with a group of friends so if they couldn't get cigs which by law they shouldn't be able to,but do.Would it work if they could actually get e-juice and e-cigs legally.At that age there is an element of wanting to be radical and stretching boundaries perhaps be able to do something would stop them doing it.
I have gone for 16 because given the choice I would rather my grandkids used e-juice instead of burning tobacco if they did start to smoke atall.
07-03-2013, 10:45 PM
We would rather our kids vaped than smoked but I can just imagine the chorus of 'it's a gateway to cigarettes'. In fact I don't have to imagine it because I've heard it from the ANTZ and pharma lobbies.
So I put 18 down as it's easier for vendors to check and at 18 it's legal to buy cigarettes so nobody could say that kids could get ecigs then switch to smoking when they reach 18 (not that there's any evidence they do).

Fight the EU ecig/vaping ban!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)