Register
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Post your replies from your MP's or MEP here!
13-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Post your replies from your MP's or MEP here!
As per the title folks, please post any replies you've had from you MP's or MEP's regarding your letter/email about the proposed EU directives on potential ecig regulations.

Mine is here:

Dear Ian,

Many thanks for writing to me about the important issue of the EU Tobacco
Products Directive, and how it will affect electronic cigarettes.

Because e-cigarettes are a relatively new product they are regulated
differently in each EU country. Some countries allow e-cigarettes to be
sold without any regulation at all. Others have banned the sale of
e-cigarettes. As the UK is part of the EU's internal market it is important
that we harmonise the way we deal with this product, otherwise consumers
could be buying unregulated products which do not conform to basic safety
standards, either within their own country, or by easily purchasing it over
the internet from a neighbouring country.

The European Commission has proposed that all 'nicotine containing products'
with more than 2mg per unit should not be classed as tobacco products.
Instead, under the Commission's proposals, nearly all e-cigarettes will need
to get authorisation as a pharmaceutical product, in the same way as
nicotine patches, sprays and gums.

Of course there is a balance to strike. On one hand e-cigarettes have the
potential to be a helpful way to help somebody quit smoking entirely and
greatly improve their health. On the other hand e-cigarettes currently can
contain up to 48mg of nicotine - far more than a regular cigarette, making
them highly addictive. As nicotine is the drug that makes cigarettes
addictive, somebody that tries e-cigarettes could be much more likely to go
on to smoke regular cigarettes. Furthermore, there is no evidence that
e-cigarettes are safe, and it is concerning that they are being marketed as
a 'healthy' alternative to smoking. Currently we do not have any conclusive
evidence either that e-cigarettes are helpful for giving up smoking, or that
they encourage it.

While we do not have this scientific evidence to rely on I think it is wise
to have a cautious approach to e-cigarettes. If they are
effective in helping people to stop smoking, then it is appropriate that
they are regulated in the same way as other smoking cessation tools, such as
nicotine patches.

The Commission proposal is not final and there will be many months of
negotiations by the European Parliament, as well as health ministers from
the UK and other EU countries, before the legislation is agreed. During this
time Labour MEPs will be looking carefully at all of the measures and trying
to find the best way to ensure that we effectively reduce smoking rates in
the UK and across Europe.

Thanks again for writing to me on this important issue. I am enclosing a
proforma 'Stay In Touch'; if you would like to be kept in touch about my
work in the European Parliament, please complete and return this to me.

Best wishes.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Skinner, Labour MEP for the South East
Fort Pitt Business Centre Suites 4 & 5
New Road
Rochester Kent ME1 1DU
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Re: Post your replies from your MP's or MEP here!
Well done for this thread Midge a brilliant idea to compare answers and keep each other informed. I wrote to my MP the day before yesterday and my MEP. I already got a response from my MP.

Dear Mr Johnson,

Thank you for your recent letter in relation to the EU Tobacco Directive and how it will affect e-cigarettes.

I understand that many smokers find e-cigarettes a useful aid to quitting, or as a less harmful
alternative to smoking standard cigarettes. As e-cigarettes are not regulated medicines the ingredients
and amount of nicotine contained within each e-cigarette may vary, and this is one aspect I feel may need
further examination. I am not aware of any conclusive evidence suggesting that e-cigarettes are unsafe, on
the contrary, information I have recieved suggests that e-cigarettes are a safer alternative to cigarettes for
smokers who are unable or do not want to stop smoking.

I believe the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is currently reviewing options to
regulate nicotine containing products including e-cigarettes and that the National Institute for Health and
Clinical Excellence (NICE) is developing guidance on harm reduction which will include electronic cigarettes,
for publication in MAY 2013. I have recently made representations to Jeremy Hunt MP Secretary of State of
Health, following communication with another constituent, however to date I am still awaiting a response.

Upon receipt of a reply to the representations I have made I will write to you again with a copy of the Minister's
reply, at which time I will be able to advise you of my next constituency surgery date where we can discuss this matter further.

I hope you find this helpful however, in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if you feel I can make any additional representations.

Yours Sincerely

Graham Morris
MP

I believe my MEP Martin Callanan is well informed of the matter and hope to have a response from him soon.

Vaper, New Found Gamer and General Court Fool.
VTTV Team Member and RY4 DJ.
[+] 1 user Likes VapingDaz's post
14-02-2013, 10:42 AM
An invitation to go and talk him through the whole thing - excellent stuff, Daz - very encouraging.
14-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I have a nice little selection of letters and will post one of each here.
--------
Many thanks for writing to me about the important issue of the EU Tobacco Products Directive, and how it will affect electronic cigarettes.

Because e-cigarettes are a relatively new product they are regulated differently in each EU country. Some countries allow e-cigarettes to be sold without any regulation at all. Others have banned the sale of e-cigarettes. As the UK is part of the EU's internal market it is important that we harmonise the way we deal with this product, otherwise consumers could be buying unregulated products which do not conform to basic safety standards, either within their own country, or by easily purchasing it over the internet from a neighbouring country.

The European Commission has proposed that all 'nicotine containing products'
with more than 2mg per unit should not be classed as tobacco products.
Instead, under the Commission's proposals, nearly all e-cigarettes will need to get authorisation as a pharmaceutical product, in the same way as nicotine patches, sprays and gums.

Of course there is a balance to strike. On one hand e-cigarettes have the potential to be a helpful way to help somebody quit smoking entirely and greatly improve their health. On the other hand e-cigarettes currently can contain up to 48mg of nicotine - far more than a regular cigarette, making them highly addictive. As nicotine is the drug that makes cigarettes addictive, somebody that tries e-cigarettes could be much more likely to go on to smoke regular cigarettes. Furthermore, there is no evidence that e-cigarettes are safe, and it is concerning that they are being marketed as a 'healthy' alternative to smoking. Currently we do not have any conclusive evidence either that e-cigarettes are helpful for giving up smoking, or that they encourage it.

While we do not have this scientific evidence to rely on I think it is wise
to have a cautious approach to e-cigarettes. If they are
effective in helping people to stop smoking, then it is appropriate that they are regulated in the same way as other smoking cessation tools, such as nicotine patches.

The Commission proposal is not final and there will be many months of negotiations by the European Parliament, as well as health ministers from the UK and other EU countries, before the legislation is agreed. During this time Labour MEPs will be looking carefully at all of the measures and trying to find the best way to ensure that we effectively reduce smoking rates in the UK and across Europe.

Thanks again for writing to me on this important issue. I am enclosing a proforma 'Stay In Touch'; if you would like to be kept in touch about my work in the European Parliament, please complete and return this to me.

Best wishes.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Skinner, Labour MEP for the South East

Fight the EU ecig/vaping ban!
14-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Catherine Bearder: 1st response:-
Thank you for contacting me regarding the revision of the Tobacco Products Directive.

You are correct in thinking that as this Directive was adopted ten years ago, proposals to amend it have now been put forward with a view to being adopted by the European Parliament and the Council in 2014 and coming into effect between 2015 and 2016.

Whist the overall objective of the revision is to improve the functioning of the internal market, it is expected that citizens in all Member States will benefit from improved public health.

The revision addresses the following main issues:

* how to regulate products which do not contain tobacco, but which are closely linked to smoking or tobacco consumption, for example electronic- and herbal cigarettes,
* labelling and packaging of tobacco products
* additives, such as flavourings, used in tobacco products,
* internet sales of tobacco products and
* tracking and tracing of these products.

I understand that as a previous heavy smoker you are concerned by the idea that electronic cigarettes could be banned by this Directive. However, electronic cigarettes containing nicotine over a certain threshold will be allowed if they have been authorised as pharmaceuticals. It is only cigarettes, roll-your-own and smokeless tobacco products that have a characterising flavour, such as menthol cigarettes and smokeless tobacco with a liquorice taste that will be prohibited.

As electronic cigarettes are still a relatively new invention, I believe that much more research needs to be done before a final Directive can be agreed on. Evidence on the safety of e-cigarettes is limited and there is no evidence regarding the health effects of long term use. Although it is unlikely that long term use of e-cigarettes is as harmful as smoking, inconsistencies in product contents and labelling need to be addressed.

In addition, a study on the acute pulmonary effects of using an e-cigarette found that there are immediate adverse physiological effects after short term use that are similar to some of the effects seen with tobacco smoking. Further, the World Health Organisation (WHO) reported that there is concern that nicotine delivery to the lung might result in stronger toxicological, physiological and addictive effects.

However, I do believe that this evidence must be balanced against the numerous studies where smokers, including yourself, have been able to quit conventional cigarettes after taking up an e-cigarette.

I believe it is necessary for the out-of-date Tobacco Products Directive to be updated, but the manner in which this is done needs to take account of current scientific evidence to ensure that the health of the public in general is a main concern. More research needs to be done as to the health effects of e-cigarettes and the Directive adjusted accordingly.

I hope this information is helpful to you. I will continue to monitor the situation closely and remain up-to-date with any developments in this field. When I have the opportunity to vote on this matter in the European Parliament you have my assurance that I will do so. In the meantime if you feel there is any further way I can be of assistance, or if you have studies in this area that you would like to draw my attention to, then please do not hesitate to contact me again.

14-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Catherine Bearder after I replied proving fact plus 9 independant studies:

Many thanks for contacting me again regarding electronic cigarettes and pointing me in the direction of some very useful studies.

I am pleased that overall you support the proposed tobacco legislation. As far as the regulation of nictotine-containing liquid used in e-cigarettes are concerned, I am staying up-to-date with developments in this field.

My main concern is the health effects of electronic cigarettes. Although preliminary tests of the original e-cigarettes produced by Ruyan, a Chinese electronics company, suggest that they are relatively harmless in comparison with smoking, there are now many different models on the market that have not been tested. Further, a draft review by the WHO's Tobacco Regulatory Group notes that the extent of nicotine uptake and the safety of e-cigarettes have yet to be established.

One of my Liberal Democrat colleagues in the European Parliament, Marielle de Sarnez, has recently written a question to the European Commission about the use of electronic cigarettes. A copy of her question is copied here for your reference. I will of course keep you updated when an answer to this question is provided by the Commission.

Over the last few years, more and more people in Europe have started using electronic cigarettes. According to a study by the Commission's Directorate-General for Health and Consumers, 7 % of EU citizens claim to have tried them and the total value of the EU market was between EUR 400 and 500 million in 2011. These new e‐cigarettes, which can be recharged using cartridges containing nicotine and flavourings, use a mechanism that produces water vapour, rather than burning tobacco which produces tar. Manufacturers claim that they are less harmful than standard cigarettes. However, it is still not completely clear how smoking electronic cigarettes affects people's health. The World Health Organisation does not think that they should be used to wean people off standard cigarettes and still classifies nicotine as a ‘very dangerous’ substance. According to a 2010 study by the French National Research and Safety Institute, the liquid used to recharge the cigarettes also contains traces of propylene glycol, which can be toxic if consumed in large amounts. The French Agency for the Safety of Health Products (AFSSAPS) does not recommend that people use e‐cigarettes to give up smoking, because it is still not clear how they affect human health. The agency's fear is that people who are not addicted to cigarettes and nicotine would develop an acute addiction by using these products. In 2010, the Commission, in its answer to a parliamentary question, said that it would look into the issue of electronic cigarettes and assess ‘the impact of a (…) revision of the Tobacco Products Directive’

Given that it is not clear how electronic cigarettes affect consumer health and whether they can lead to addiction, does the Commission intend to carry out a study into the potential risks of e‐cigarette use, particularly among young people? Does it plan to revise EU legislation on smoking to take account of its findings?

I will continue to monitor the situation closely and look forward to the European Commission’s response on e-cigarettes in order to make an informed decision regarding their use before the first vote takes place on 25th February

14-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Nirj Deva:

Thank you contacting me with your concerns with the EU Tobacco Directive. I sympathise with your point that vaporises have helped you to substantially cut down on smoking, indeed, a number of my constituents have attested to their effectiveness

Please find below the response of the Martin Callanan, Conservative Spokesman for matters relating to the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety:

"You are not alone in contacting me on this issue - many constituents feel similarly strongly. I have examined the arguments and I see the potential e-cigarettes offer as harm-reduction devices to improve human health. I am particularly convinced by the fact that e-cigarettes offer concentrated nicotine to addicts without the 4000 toxins and carcinogens found in tobacco smoke, that use of e-cigarettes removes the risk posed to non-smokers (and especially to children of smokers) by second hand smoke, that e-cigarettes appeal to adult smokers seeking to quit but not generally to children or those not yet addicted to nicotine, that traditional nicotine replacement therapies proposed by the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry have had very limited success in helping smokers quit permanently, and that thousands of British e-cigarette users (and millions across the EU and the world) are likely return to smoking if the directive is amended as foreseen and nicotine concentrations are limited to 4mg/ml. I have no doubt that this will lead to a large percentage of such users dying of smoking-related diseases they might otherwise have avoided, with all the personal and societal consequences this would mean. Such arguments have led me to conclude that the proposed changes to limit permitted concentrations of nicotine solution sold in the EU are counter-productive and will do much more harm than good.

Changes to EU tobacco legislation have been expected for some time but were delayed by the recent resignation of the previous European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Affairs, John Dalli. His replacement, Tonio Borg, has expressed a desire to change the law before his mandate expires in June 2014. To prevent the proposed changes concerning e-cigarettes and all the negative consequences that would arise, we must work hard in the year ahead to build solid majorities in both the Parliament and the Council.

As a member of the Parliament's Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety I will do everything in my power to make the arguments and convince other MEPs of the foolishness of diluting nicotine solution to the point of uselessness.

I would also encourage you to raise awareness among others in the vapourizing community. The internet offers considerable opportunities to draw the attention of a wide audience to the issue and to contact your elected representatives quickly and easily. If you have not already done so I would encourage you to write to your MP and request him to raise the matter in Westminster, and persuade other e-cigarette users to do the same. If we bring to the attention of the public, the political world and the media the strong arguments in favour of e-cigarettes as a harm reduction device and the number of lives which can be saved through their use, we have a very strong chance of winning the argument."

I hope you find this response useful, if you have any queries or concerns on any other matter please do not hesitate to get in touch, I shall be happy to help.

14-02-2013, 01:20 PM
I also wrote to Michael Gove, who sent me two letters, the first saying he'd take my points to Jeremy Hunt, eventually received that reply, identical to that Dave Dorn read on VTTV.

I've been trying to arrange meetings but even my MP hold very few surgeries as he's too busy with Education to be educated. I've hassled the constituency office but find it impossible to even find out when and where he meets constituents.

I did receive one other reply, from a Con, who sent mt letter to Nirv Deja, the most pronising replies being the standard Conservative ones.

18-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Here is one reply I had today from MEP - SWest UK

Dear Mr Dolphin

Thank you for your email regarding the Tobacco Directive. I do appreciate the concerns that you have raised, and may I commend your efforts in stopping smoking.

I am aware that the European Commission would like to extend the scope of the Tobacco Directive to new products such as electronic cigarettes. According to their proposal, nicotine containing products below a certain nicotine threshold would be permitted on the market providing they had health warnings, but products above this threshold must be authorised as medicinal products before they can be placed on the market.

The nicotine threshold would appear to be insufficient for smokers like you who want to stop smoking, and it will likely be expensive for manufacturers to apply for a licence to manufacture medicinal products. Given the potential of e-cigarettes to improve human health, and the lack of appeal of these products to non-smokers and children, it would seem that the Commission’s proposals are ill-judged.

My Conservative colleague, Martin Callanan MEP, is leading on the scrutiny of this piece of legislation for our delegation in the European Parliament and will ensure that your arguments are put forward.

Yours sincerely,

Ashley Fox

MEP for the South West of England & Gibraltar

Dolphins Hotel a Vaping friendly hotel!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi guys,
A comment by Dave Dorn tonight has prompted me to question what these Mp/MEp/s actually understand an electronic cigarette to be. If they believe that most of us use a looky-likey and everyone is using 1 small cart a day( or indeed 1 cart equals 1 cigarette or 40 fags or whatever), then we all need to educate them- and very quickly.

"Thank you for your reply. Due to the nature and the content of the letter I have received back, I have concerns that you may not have a thorough understanding of what these devices are and their purpose.Could I respectfully ask for your personal definition of an electronic cigarette?"

I'm firing off the question asap.

Don't Drip and Drive

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Topic , Wants Your Favorite E-cig Juice guys post your vaper_man 8 6,865 25-10-2013 03:01 AM
Last Post: EgoManiac

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)