Register
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
#BBCvapemeet
07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
#BBCvapemeet
So - who's going and where?

I shall be at The Mailbox in Birmingham from 11am for a couple of hours, and will be taking the camcorder along.

What's everyone else doing?

Dave's Tackle Box - Sundays @ 9pm UK
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 06:02 PM
RE: #BBCvapemeet
If there is one in Lincoln, I would go there...but as I don't want to be Billy No Mates...I'll go to the one in Nottingham.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Scott Gregory's post
07-01-2014, 06:15 PM
(07-01-2014 06:02 PM)Mr Scott Gregory Wrote:  If there is one in Lincoln, I would go there...but as I don't want to be Billy No Mates...I'll go to the one in Nottingham.

I had a similar dilemma actually. Derby is technically nearer for me, but couldn't find anyone else going there and decided on "strength in numbers" in Brum!

07-01-2014, 06:19 PM
I shall be in Cardiff, despite the fact that due to work commitments I have to be in London on Friday and probably won't get home much before midnight.

Swansea is closer, but that office is tiny and only has a single (radio) studio these days.

That said, now I have committed to going to Cardiff, everyone else will probably go to Bristol Sad
07-01-2014, 07:35 PM
I will be at Newcastle, i'm pretty sure i wont be alone (i better not be Smile )

O < This is my stress free bubble, respect the bubble, stay out of the bubble, no touchy the bubble, go find your own bubble Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Sav's post
07-01-2014, 08:43 PM
I'll be going to Birmingham, along with my other half. I shall also be hopefully taking a small digital camcorder along to document some of the day's events, (Andy Sutton watch out!), so be prepared to duck if my camcorder points in your general direction lol Smile

Ecigs: A Choice not a Therapy. A lifestyle not a Treatment. Educate and Liberate.
08-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Interesting mini conversation on Twitter this morning about whether banners are a good idea on Saturday. I don't think it matters too much personally.

I suppose there's a risk that if it looks like an organised protest the police may move people along as we don't have permission or something, but I can't imagine they'll be too bothered if everyone behaves - as we all will of course.

08-01-2014, 10:36 AM
(08-01-2014 09:39 AM)DaveK Wrote:  Interesting mini conversation on Twitter this morning about whether banners are a good idea on Saturday. I don't think it matters too much personally.

I suppose there's a risk that if it looks like an organised protest the police may move people along as we don't have permission or something, but I can't imagine they'll be too bothered if everyone behaves - as we all will of course.

That's the worry I have stated in Twitter. If you start displaying banners then it starts to look like a Protest and we WILL get moved on.

I have worked at the BBC Offices in Wood Lane and know that all and sundry turn up there to voice their protests (I have witnessed it first hand). For that reason, the BBC are well aware of how quickly Protests can get out of hand and they have a lot of experience in dealing/dispersing them.

We need to be very peaceful, friendly and good natured and not give them an excuse to call it a Protest.

Remember, the whole point is to get the BBC News Teams to come out and talk to us about why we are there. They are less likely to do that if they think it is a protest.

Also, if people start to view it as a Protest then they may be less likely to get involved.

Personally, I don't think we should be using banners. By all means distribute leaflets, but not banners.
[+] 1 user Likes Jester2109's post
08-01-2014, 02:30 PM
(08-01-2014 10:36 AM)Jester2109 Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 09:39 AM)DaveK Wrote:  Interesting mini conversation on Twitter this morning about whether banners are a good idea on Saturday. I don't think it matters too much personally.

That's the worry I have stated in Twitter. If you start displaying banners then it starts to look like a Protest and we WILL get moved on.

I have worked at the BBC Offices in Wood Lane and know that all and sundry turn up there to voice their protests (I have witnessed it first hand). For that reason, the BBC are well aware of how quickly Protests can get out of hand and they have a lot of experience in dealing/dispersing them.

We need to be very peaceful, friendly and good natured and not give them an excuse to call it a Protest.

Remember, the whole point is to get the BBC News Teams to come out and talk to us about why we are there. They are less likely to do that if they think it is a protest.

Also, if people start to view it as a Protest then they may be less likely to get involved.

Personally, I don't think we should be using banners. By all means distribute leaflets, but not banners.

Hi Guys,

I do understand that there may be cause for concern. However, as #bannergate is about the #BBCvapemeet in Nottingham , which is the one that I'm going to, I would like to share my thoughts with you.

This will be my first ever vapemeet (oh yes...I am a vapemeet virgin) and I will have my Wife with me too (on the promise of shopping afterwards), so I'm hoping to meet a friendly and good natured bunch of people to chat about everything vaping related, swap ideas and maybe learn from those that have been vaping for longer. It would also be a bonus if someone from the BBC asked why we are holding the vapemeet....an opportunity to highlight the issue that unites us.

Or to put it another way - I don't do shouting, chanting, singing, foot stamping (unless listening to Meatloaf tracks), gesticulating and would certainly never take my Wife to a Protest.

DaveK mentioned in his last show that the biggest advantage to the #BBCvapemeets are that they are being arranged by the individuals at each meet and not by a central organising/steering committee. He also went on to say that the same could also be the biggest disadvantage too... I think this case demonstrates that perfectly.

I feel sure that a consensus decision will be reached on Saturday, about the use of a banner, by those of us attending the #BBCvapemeet in Nottingham.

I think that it is better to have the banner, even if not used, than wish we had one when someone from the BBC says "haven't you got a banner that we can use as a backdrop"?

One final point (I promise)...I would like to thank the gentleman that has arranaged for the banner to be made, for his passion, enthusiasm and for giving those attending, the opportunity to use it... I look forward to meeing you in person on Saturday. (apologies for any spelling pistakes).
[+] 2 users Like Mr Scott Gregory's post
08-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Great post Mr G, all very valid points and I think you are right about a decision being made on Saturday, once everything is evaluated.

As you said Kudos to the guy that has arranged for the banner, seeing the passion from people like that and all the people going to these meets is just amazing.

I hope you enjoy your first vapemeet, and the shopping afterward isn't to bad on the old bank balance Smile

O < This is my stress free bubble, respect the bubble, stay out of the bubble, no touchy the bubble, go find your own bubble Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Sav's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)