Register
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
wicking
07-01-2014, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 06:30 PM by Jester2109.)
RE: wicking
(07-01-2014 06:24 PM)EgoManiac Wrote:  Try it. You'll like it. Smile

I remember when a girl said that to me when I was still a (long-haired) acne-ridden teenager (many moons ago). She was right (ecigs didn't exist then) Wink

I will let you know how I get on once I have had a go at building one Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 07:33 PM
I put off trying to recoil for such a long time, but when i finally went for it it was not as hard as I had built it up to be, I am by no means a master at it, but can normally walk away with something that works at the end of it.... i must say its not always pretty lol

O < This is my stress free bubble, respect the bubble, stay out of the bubble, no touchy the bubble, go find your own bubble Smile
10-01-2014, 01:59 PM
I've got a protank and a protank2, i'll have to have a look at that video eGo and see if i can give it a go. Although i'm usually turning the air blue just trying to do a normal coil, so what chance will i have doing a CMC?? On another note, i've got a cobra genesis(clone) and since i bought it off ebay i don't think i've managed to get a decent vape out of it yet! it came with a mesh wick and a coil pre-installed and another mesh wick in the box, allen key etc, (although on close inspection it looked suspiciously like it had been used already even though it was listed as new). Now, i've looked at a genuine cobra, and that one has more screws in the top than the one i've got, mine only has 2, a fill-hole and one that the wire goes round (gettin technical now). I was just wondering if anyone has any hints or tips/advice on setting up one of these genesis atomisers? Any help would be great Smile

Ecigs: A Choice not a Therapy. A lifestyle not a Treatment. Educate and Liberate.
10-01-2014, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 04:00 PM by EgoManiac.)
The CMCs are actually easier than conventional coils for rebuilding ProTanks, especially using the drill bit to stabilize the coil in the head during installation. I admit the process looks complicated and fiddly with all the wrapping and torching and tweezing and tucking and what-all, but it's more science than art; less like handicrafts and more like manufacturing. As such, it lends itself well to a 1-2-3, step-by-step, follow-the-bouncing-ball approach to learning. If you can follow a recipe, you can stamp out CMCs like a cookie cutter. Smile

Now, if you really want faff, there are always genesis coils to be built ... Big Grin

If you can't get there by a comfortable road, don't go.
19-03-2014, 06:00 PM
What's the best wicking material to use for a Protank rebuild ?

I noticed that on Rip Tripper vids he uses all kinds from cotton to cotton wool.
20-03-2014, 01:39 AM
I use pure, unbleached organic cotton balls ... specifically, these Maxim ones.

Just unroll one (it takes a bit of fiddling around to find the beginning of the roll, but a little pinching and pulling will make it reveal itself) into a long, thin cotton belt. Find the part that is most even, long fibers without lumps and bumps and cut a section about twice as long as you think you'll need. Along the edges, there's usually a fringe that is thinner and less dense than the main part; just pick these off with a series of tweezing pinches right down the edge and discard them. You should be left with a section of cotton fiber mat about an inch wide that is of more or less uniform thickness.

For Kayfun/Russian/Squape wicks, I find that about one quarter of the width of the mat is about right. Tweeze/pinch off half the mat, and then pinch off half of each half; you'll get four wicks.

For ProTanks or similar, continue tweezing each of the wicks in half again; you'll get eight wicks out.

You'll note that I've been using the awkward "tweezing/pinching" phraseology ... that's because I've found doing it like that keeps the long fibers intact better, which in turn makes them wick better and helps the wick hold together longer. I've tried just cutting the mat into wick sized slices with scissors, but because the fibers kind of wander around across the mat, I lose a lot of the long, intact fibers and wind up with an inferior wick.

And there's more than you ever wanted to know about my cotton wicks Big Grin

If you can't get there by a comfortable road, don't go.
[+] 1 user Likes EgoManiac's post
20-03-2014, 01:04 PM
I've ordered the same Kanthal that you recommended and will get some organic cotton balls from the local H&B. I have already stripped down a couple of old coils ready to try it all out. Once I have everything then I will have a go.

I've also now bought an hcigar kayfun clone (cos there was a good deal in a local ecig store). So once I have had a practice a few times on rewicking the PT coils (successfully), then I will also have a go at doing a rebuildable on the Kayfun clone. If, over the next few days I master all this, then I may consider moving on to a genuine rebuildable (rather than a clone). Though from what I have read, the hcigar Kayfun clone is one of the better clones !!

I shall report back on my success or not. This is what happens when I see Keith on VTTV showing us all how easy it is ;-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)