Register
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
wicking
06-01-2014, 09:14 AM
wicking
What wicking material do you guys n gals normally use? I always used silica until I got a sQuape and now I find I am quite taken by cotton, but saying that I still use silica on my spheriod.

Do you find different wicks work better with different set ups?

O < This is my stress free bubble, respect the bubble, stay out of the bubble, no touchy the bubble, go find your own bubble Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 01:15 PM
RE: wicking
For the last few months I have mainly been using Pro tanks (both V1 and 2), and use both silica and cotton in them. Since playing about with micro coils I now tend to use cotton more, as I leave the coil in place and just replace to cotton. It makes it so easy, to become a lazy recoiler / vaper .
06-01-2014, 04:05 PM
for a dripper i use cotton as it soaks up the juice so well and makes it so easy to just change out the cotton when i want a different juice. on a genesis tank i still love the ss rope for a hassle free vape i can easily recoil and something i know will always work when i'm out and about.

Vape Hard or GO HOME!!!!
[Image: VapourtrailstvHD.1.gif] Click to subscribe - IT'S FREE!
07-01-2014, 02:43 AM
I've gone to all cotton microcoils in just about everything ... Penelope, Ithaka, ProTank, Russian 91%, Kayfun Lite+ ... they are all merrily chugging away with cotton-wicked microcoils (actually, not technically micro; all mine are wrapped on 2-3mm drill bits, depending on the target device). The only tricky bit is finding the ideal density of cotton for each coil size—too little and it floods, too much and it chokes—but once you find that magic amount, it becomes fast and easy to re-wick. Of all the materials I've tried for wicking (and I've tried a fair few ... some you'd shake your head at!), cotton is the consistent winner for ample wicking and almost complete transparency of flavour. YMMV. Big Grin

If you can't get there by a comfortable road, don't go.
07-01-2014, 10:36 AM
microcoils are the best invention ever... no more hotspots !!

but.. getting that cotton right, is a nightmare, especially in this bloody Squape.

Noticed today, there are a fair few Squapes up for sale on UKV, wonder if those people are fed up of the leaking problems too...
07-01-2014, 11:32 AM
I haven't yet had the pleasure of a Squape; for some reason, I don't see many over here, either in the wild or the classies. On the other hand, the Kayfun Lite Plus and its twin-by-another-mother, the Russian 91%, are my devices of choice for cotton microcoiling ... they seem to have been designed with CMCs in mind!

My juices are 100% VG (as much as possible), and so are rather thick and a challenge to wick well ... what I've found to work is a loosely rolled wick that is thick enough to slide through the coil with some resistance, but not so thick as to have the fibers bunch up or shave off where they enter the coil. Once you've done it right, it's easy to repeat, but it's definitely a look-and-feel, trial-and-error process in the beginning! Big Grin

07-01-2014, 01:41 PM
(07-01-2014 11:32 AM)EgoManiac Wrote:  I haven't yet had the pleasure of a Squape; for some reason, I don't see many over here, either in the wild or the classies. On the other hand, the Kayfun Lite Plus and its twin-by-another-mother, the Russian 91%, are my devices of choice for cotton microcoiling ... they seem to have been designed with CMCs in mind!

My juices are 100% VG (as much as possible), and so are rather thick and a challenge to wick well ... what I've found to work is a loosely rolled wick that is thick enough to slide through the coil with some resistance, but not so thick as to have the fibers bunch up or shave off where they enter the coil. Once you've done it right, it's easy to repeat, but it's definitely a look-and-feel, trial-and-error process in the beginning! Big Grin

I've got Protanks. How does one go about modifying them in this way ?
07-01-2014, 04:11 PM
ProTanks are relatively easy to rebuild with CMCs ... here is a YouTube video by Rip Tripper showing the whole process.

My procedure differs from Rip Tripper's in a couple of regards:

I find that a 1.8 mm drill bit perfectly fits the channels in the ProTank 1 and ProTank 2 heads; a 1.5 mm drill bit also works well. I wrap my wire around the drill bit, then remove the coil from the bit and torch it. Once the coils are tightly together, I put the coil back on the drill bit and install the coil in the ProTank head; since the drill bit fits perfectly in the head channels, it automatically keeps the coil in the proper position inside the head, and at the proper height to make inserting the cotton wick easy.

I prefer my ProTank coils to be in the 2Ω range, so I use about 6-8 wraps of 30 gauge (.255 mm) Kanthal A-1. I do not use any "flavor wicking" over the top of the main coil.

Hope that helps get you started. Smile

07-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Thanks for that. Trip to B&Q is in order Wink

Seriously though, I am genuinely interested in looking at this but really had no idea where to start !!
07-01-2014, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 06:26 PM by EgoManiac.)
Try it. You'll like it. Smile

All of us coil builders are here to answer questions, so don't be shy. After you've fumbled through your first CMC rebuild, the second and subsequent ones will be a doodle ... Big Grin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)