Register
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evolv DNA 12 - testing
16-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Evolv DNA 12 - testing
These are preliminary tests of the new Evolv DNA 12 module.
Testing right now with (2) paralleled 18650 Trustfires but will later use (2) Li-Po 20c batteries.
The Trustfires are under rated for the DNA as you can see by the Battery Level readings. Voltage drops from 4.17v to 3.27v Definitely need higher "C" rating batteries as per DNA spec sheet.

Update: Just tried my half charged Li-Po's on it and it only dropped Four Hundreds of a volt (0.04v). Will be testing Lower resistance later on.

[Image: dna_mcu1.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Re: Evolv DNA 12 - testing
That looks very interesting... particularly like the diagnostic OLED panel...
Find all posts by this user
21-05-2012, 02:35 PM
[Image: dna_build1.jpg][Image: dna_build2.jpg][Image: dna_build3.jpg]
21-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I have found that the Voltage, Amperage and Wattage readings fluctuate considerably while holding down the fire button.
I have coded to calculate V, A and Watts every 1000ms (1second).
With two 20c Li-Pos in parallel, the highest wattage achieved is 10.68 watts. Starts at 9.68 watts and fluctuates to values in between to max of 10.68.
With one 20c I get slightly lower max of 10.02 watts.

As per datasheet 3.3 ohms should get you 12 watts but I tried a 3.3 ohm atty and only get 9.7 watts.
I also notice that it is a pulsed output. I can hear the atty pulsing on and off. That's why the readings fluctuate.

This is weird: Wanted to see if I see a red err LED on the DNA so I tried the 3.3 ohm atty again and got NO pulsing and get 10.38 watts. Still fluctuating readings. NO red LED indicating.

I understand that VW maintains wattage with the load. Resistance of atty may vary and the DNA adjusts accordingly to maintain the set wattage. But........ Wattage readings should NOT fluctuate.
Also most of my testing is with a fixed load. A Ceramic 20 watt resistor. No resistance variation should occur.

Right now my highest wattage is 10.68w. Mamu and BigFran was able to get 11w by shorting up on the battery wires.
Sometimes that is not practical when using a particular enclosure due to the placement of batteries. My batteries are soldered so batt contacts is not an issue. I am using 20ga wires on power connections.

I'm not concerned with getting more wattage. I like tasting my juice and not sizzle it. With the juice I'm using, anything over 7watts is harsh and tastes burnt. This is my vaping style. Some vapors like using higher wattage and have different preferences. To each his own.
21-05-2012, 03:11 PM
one problem you might find is that because the DNA monitors the output to control the Wattage, anything you put in between the output from the board and the coil will affect the DNA's output to some degree?

Vape Hard or GO HOME!!!!
[Image: VapourtrailstvHD.1.gif] Click to subscribe - IT'S FREE!
23-05-2012, 09:01 PM
With the right camera distance the display looks pretty clear:

[Image: mcu_dna_display2.jpg]

Not so clear but over 11 watts. Max was 11.58 watts.

[Image: mcu_dna11w.jpg]

USB charging:

[Image: mcu_dna_charge.jpg]
24-05-2012, 03:33 PM
been playing around with a stripped out inductive coil today! looks like it should fit in the way i want it to and looks like it will connect up the way i want to the DNA too! now just need to find the right batteries to fit everything in right and i'll be very happy! :ugeek:
[Image: induction.jpg]

Vape Hard or GO HOME!!!!
[Image: VapourtrailstvHD.1.gif] Click to subscribe - IT'S FREE!
17-07-2012, 05:20 PM
I guess soon Evolv will start making a USB charging module available for their DNA.
I received two Micro USB charger boards a couple of days ago from Brandon for testing.
Nice and tiny. A great size that doesn't take up much room. I don't have the spec's on it but I am thinking it maybe 500mah.
Here is a size comparison with the two others I have used.

[Image: dna_charger1.jpg][Image: dna_charger2.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Video DNA 30 by Breaktru breaktru 3 5,676 16-01-2014 02:51 PM
Last Post: Sav

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)